Congregation Beth Simchat Torah (CBST) seeking full-time Assistant Rabbi/Family Educator
Congregation Beth Simchat Torah (CBST). A Synagogue for People of All Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities, is seeking a full-time Assistant
Rabbi to begin August 16, 2010. CBST was founded in 1973 and is unaffiliated. Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum has served as the Senior Rabbi since 1992. Congregation Beth Simchat Torah is a spiritual home for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Passionate, provocative, and deeply
Jewish, our community engages in spirited debate and activism: rejoicing in diversity, denouncing social injustice wherever it exists, and striving for human rights for all people.
The position will include:
-A major focus (50%) of this position is on the education, programming, services for families with children. We are looking for someone who is
passionate about working with children, preferably someone with at least 3 years experience. Most of our children are under 8 years old. The Assistant Rabbi will organize and lead all HHD services, Shabbat and yomim tovim services for families with children. The Assistant Rabbi will organize, teach and supervise all educational programs for families
with children. The Assistant Rabbi will be responsible for the hiring and supervision of all teachers and songleaders as necessary. We will look to the Assistant Rabbi to develop outreach and new programming for families with children. The Assistant Rabbi will be the primary rabbi for all pastoral needs with the families with children. Currently, we have
two Shabbat mornings a month for families with children and some Friday night programs as scheduled. The Assistant Rabbi will work closely with the education committee (both for adults and children).
- General pastoral counseling (including working with members who are dealing with: coming out issues, Aging issues, Queer issues, being LGBT and Jewish, aging parents, parenting, spiritual crisis, AIDS and
other illnesses and related issues, gender identity issues);
- Directing, programming and teaching in the Lehrhaus Judaica, (our adult education program) including our adult b’nai mitzvah program;
- Performing lifecycle rituals, (baby namings, conversions, funerals, kiddushin, divorce/separation, adult and young adult b’nai mitzvah and creative new rituals);
- Some pulpit responsibilities;
- Representing CBST in the broader communities;
- Assisting in supervision of Cooperberg-Rittmaster Rabbinical Interns;
The Assistant Rabbi/Family Educator will work closely under the supervision and mentorship of Rabbi Kleinbaum.
- Applicants are welcome from any of the Jewish Movements. All are welcome to apply regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation.
Preference is given to those with at least three years experience working with families with children and education course work or degree. We are looking for someone who is detail oriented, self-motivated, has
personal spiritual depth, creative, excellent communication skills (written and oral), computer savvy, has excellent follow through, works
well on a team.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum/CBST/57 Bethune Street/New York, NY 10014 or email@example.com by February 8,
For more information about CBST please consult our website: www.cbst.org